By Bernard Lightman
The Wiley Blackwell spouse to the background of Science is a unmarried quantity spouse that discusses the background of technological know-how because it is finished this present day, supplying a survey of the debates and concerns that dominate present scholarly dialogue, with contributions from top foreign scholars.
- Provides a single-volume assessment of present scholarship within the background of technological know-how edited by means of one of many best figures within the field
- Features 40 essays by way of top overseas students supplying an outline of the main debates and advancements within the heritage of science
- Reflects the shift in the direction of deeper historic contextualization in the field
- Helps converse and combine views from the historical past of technology with different components of ancient inquiry
- Includes dialogue of non-Western topics that are built-in in the course of the chapters
- Divided into 4 sections in response to key analytic different types that replicate new ways within the field
Read or Download A companion to the history of science PDF
Similar methodology & statistics books
Bibliometrics and quotation research: From the technological know-how quotation Index to Cybermetrics bargains a accomplished evaluate of theories, options, recommendations, and functions within the interdisciplinary and progressively becoming box of bibliometrics. This publication seems at bibliographic quotation and quotation networks through discussing the prior, current, and way forward for bibliometrics, from its foundations within the technological know-how quotation Index to its enlargement into the area broad net.
This significant publication exhibits how new and skilled researchers can increase the standard in their business examine. It outlines the diversity of accessible tools for researchers, from caliber instruments to medical equipment, in addition to discussing the in charge and moral behavior of analysis. It additionally illustrates what error will be made via researchers and the way those can have an effect on the recognition of either the examine being undertaken and the associations concerned.
Integrating multidisciplinary views at the relation of rhetoric, technological know-how, expertise and public policy-making to the method and fabricated from technical verbal exchange, this textbook reformulates the problems raised via technological know-how and know-how reviews (STS) in the context of technical verbal exchange.
- Scientific Freedom: The Elixir of Civilization
- Qualitative Research: Bridging the Conceptual, Theoretical, and Methodological
- Further Developments in Scientific Optical Imaging
- Computers in chess : solving inexact search problems
Additional info for A companion to the history of science
Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. Shteir, Ann B. 1996. Cultivating Women, Cultivating Science: Flora’s Daughters and Botany in England, 1760–1860. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. Smith, Crosbie. 1998. The Science of Energy: A Cultural History of Energy Physics in Victorian Britain. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. S¨oderqvist, Thomas. 2007. The History and Poetics of Scientific Biography. Aldershot: Ashgate. ) 2014. Science after the Practice Turn in the Philosophy, History, and Social Studies of Science.
In this chapter, I will describe a number of examples of learned individuals in the ancient and medieval periods, sometimes with regard to their lived experience, sometimes through the stories that were told about them, and sometimes through the writings that they left. Greek Mathematicians in the Hellenic Cities Although we have no direct evidence for the activities of learned mathematicians of the classical Hellenic period (c. 500–c. 300 CE), it appears that they sought to distinguish their work both from practical traditions of mathematics that went back to Egypt and Babylonia, and from that of other groups of intellectuals, like philosophers and sophists.
Secord, James A. 2000. Victorian Sensation: The Extraordinary Publication, Reception and Secret Authorship of Vestiges of the Natural History of Creation. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. Secord, James A. 2004. ” Isis, 95, No. 4: 654–72. Shapin, Steven. 1989. ” American Scientist, 77: 554–63. Shapin, Steven, and Simon Schaffer. 1985. Leviathan and the Air-Pump: Hobbes, Boyle, and the Experimental Life. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. Shapin, Steven, and Simon Schaffer. 2011. Leviathan and the Air-Pump: Hobbes, Boyle, and the Experimental Life.
A companion to the history of science by Bernard Lightman